TopBand: DX Activity in the ARRL 160M Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DX Activity in the ARRL 160M Contest
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:53:40 -1000

>Hope to hear some increased DX activity this weekend, at least out of Asia
>and the Pacific.

Aloha,

Unfortunately,  I have no amp now.  Would it be even worth the effort
to try the 'test with around 200 watts or so out from my FT-1000?

I usually use my OmniVI for CW,  but it musters only around 95 watts
CW.

My antenna is a Gladiator vertical,  TL160,  which now has only four
"elevated" radials;  but,  all have some vines/other wild creepy green
things clinging on in the mini "jungle" out back filled with wild guava,
ginger,  etc.,  hi,  When the rain stops,  and if the land holder does not
go ahead with plans to install horses on the land,  I plan to
put out a LOT of radial wire,  and forget the elevated, resonance
not,  radials.  Just go to the typical ground current return system
with a lot of copper wire on the ground.

Guess I might try,  but most guys feel one needs the kW to really
be heard from out here near mid-Pacific.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai