TopBand: Shunt fed tower with wide band width

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt fed tower with wide band width
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:17:08 EST
Lee, KT4ZX  writes:

"I decided to take down my inv-L that was hanging beside my 72 ft Trylon
tower and try to gamma feed the tower.  (The L also interfered with a
sidemounted antenna!).  To keep the L out of the path of the sidemounted
antenna, I tried moving the L closer to the tower (it was about 5 ft
away).  But as I got closer the real part of the impedance went upwards
of 100 ohms (according to my MFJ-259B).

"I got the gamma feed working last night, but I'm surprised at the
bandwidth.  Its around 260 kHz!!!  I was expecting something much
sharper.