TopBand: DXCC 160 meters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DXCC 160 meters
From: istvan.bogyo@mdc.hu (pista)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:51:47 +0100
Dear Fellow Topbanders,

Unfortunatley I had plenty of time to think during the contest, as the
only new one for me was J6DX, and I did not want to waste my time (and
take other people's chance) to work the ones I already have...

I found out one of the reasons why Europeans are only dreaming of 300
countries on 160 meters: We are at the wrong place.

The antipodes for USA - the Indian Ocean - has 21 countries, while the
antipodes for EU - the Pacific - has 54 countries. For some reason, very
few Pacific expeditions make it to Europe on 160, while most Indian
Ocean expeditions report hundreds (but at least dozens) of US QSOs on
this band.

Recently, VK9LX has been worked from all over the US, and there was not
a peep in Europe. Considering my recent QSOs with VK2, VK3, VK9N, it
seems to be ridiculous, but I missed VK9LX again...

Any comments?
73 es DX
de
Steve HA0DU