TopBand: 3DA0CA comments

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 3DA0CA comments
From: Chris.Burger@Nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:48:20 +0200
I've had a number of messages from people that cannot make it through to
Jon, ostensibly because of QRM from closer stations making repeat QSOs.

While the notion of not making repeat QSOs is a noble one, let me
explain something about low band DXing in southern Africa, yet again.

1.  The QRN level is virtually always over S9.  This problem is
exacerbated by the fact that those in the Top Half don't turn on their
wireless equipment during their summer, forcing those of us that live
upside down to play Top Band in the middle of our thunderstorm season.

2.  I can count the occasions where lots of signals were audible at one
time, on one hand.  The west coast (ZS1, ZS3, V5 etc.) is much better at
sunrise, as the thunderstorms to the east are then absorbed by the
daylight D layer.  Virtually always, only one or two signals will make
it above the noise level.  You are not being clobbered by that nasty W1;
you are being clobbered by a towering 60 000 ft Cumulonimbus.  Now that
you know this, that should be much easier for your self-esteem to
handle.

3.  The Spotlight Effect is very noticeable; the area from which the
readable signals emanates moves gradually.  For example, I have seen an
opening move W1 W2 W8 VE3 W0 W7 (north-south through Mt Id Ut Az) W6.
As the "spotlight" moved, no other stations were audible at all.
Callers at the other end (e.g. W5) reported hearing me for the entire
opening.  I can only surmise that the high noise level makes small
signal level variations critical at this end, while our signals are
easily audible at the other end for the entire duration.

Moral of the story:  If you are on the Left Coast or in northern Europe,
don't despair.  Your day will come when your signal is in that elusive
3DA0's passband, with nary an I8 or W4 in sight.  It may just take a
little longer.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ