TopBand: Rainy Days and Europe

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Rainy Days and Europe
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:00:31 -0700
I was on 12 - 20 meters this evening giving up on 160 because of it
raining overhead--the static was annoying on 20!  Finally at 0405z
I finally decided to at least listen to the top band once.  I heard
DL7ON on and quickly worked him and numerous other Europeans.  The
static was higher than normal (though nothing like a July storm), but
the Europeans were up enough to beat most of the crashes--most EU were
569/579.  Unless everybody decided to just stay on for around 10 or 15
minutes, that's about as long as they were good copy here.  I was most
surprised in working SP3NX at 0517z.
I'm still waiting for the corn to be harvested here so that I can put
up my Beverage antennas...  So, all receiving today was via my
transmit antenna--three in-line elements as part of a parasitic
vertical array.

73,  Bill     K0HA