TopBand: Spurii

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Spurii
From: ve3zi@hotmail.com (Roger P)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:05:36 PDT
Hi All

I have just put up a couple of short (500') beverages as being all I can
reasonably do before the snow flies. They seem to work well (quite
beautifully on A35ZL!), but both pass under telephone/low voltage power
(but not cable TV) lines. I find that I am getting quite a number of
'sproggs' across the band, including a loud drifting unstable carrier.
My first thought was that these would be computer related, but they are
still there with all power to the house switched off and using a battery
receiver, and are there in the middle of the day. The next houses are
several hundred feet from the beverages. Does anybody have any knowledge
of the telephone/power companies' practice? Is it possible that these
are generated by the utilities? If so, is it a normal or fault
condition? I live in a very rural area, and the band is amazingly quiet
at times, to the extent that I have wondered if the receiver is working
properly.

Would much appreciate any help direct, and thanks in advance.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP