TopBand: New TITANEX V160s Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: New TITANEX V160s Vertical
From: mikedev@interalpha.co.uk (Mike Devereux - G3SED)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:52:48 +0100
Hi All,

It's been some time since I posted anything on the reflector - but after
my trip to 9M0C earlier this year I decided to try a TITANEX V160s
Vertical identical to the one we used on 80/160 Mtrs.

I put the 88ft high V160s antenna up two weeks ago almost single handed.
I just needed a litlle help from the XYL to walk it up after all the
prep work was done - not bad for the erection of 88ft of Vertical !!

I am now using it exclusively on 80 and 160 metres. I have had to take
down or permanently detune my other 160 antennas as they interacted too
badly with the V160s.

I WOULD WELCOME ANY COMPARATIVE REPORTS WITH OTHER G Stations you hear
on the band at the same time as me, or indeed any comments on signal
strength from those of you who hear me regularly.

My concern is that this antenna is BASE loaded on 160 - albeit with a
huge air spaced coil of copper tubing, and I just wonder how effective
it is compared with my old inverted L or 100ft shunt fed tower.

I have it sat on a 30ft by 30ft mesh of chicken wire, and about sixty -
130 ft radials round the base.

Of course from Spratly Island it performed very well - but it was just
15 ft from the ocean !!

Reports in the comming weeks via E-mail or over the air would be
appreciated. I'll post my feelings and report on the antenna in a month
or so's time after I've had time to assess it.

Look forward to working everyone on the band this season

73's

Mike G3SED