TopBand: Fwd: Antenna installation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Fwd: Antenna installation
From: K1PX@aol.com (K1PX@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:05:54 EDT

--part0_906653155_boundary

From: K1PX@aol.com
To: k8sm@juno.com
Subject: Antenna installation
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:04:22 EDT

        Hi Scott:

        This note may be a little later than some of the others but I've had
some
        experience using all 3 basic methods. The bow and arrow, particularly
for
        that height, I believe, is the best way to go.

        Swinging a weight with a line has the disadvantage of not being able to
        control the take off angle. I have done this after many many shots to
        about 40 feet height.

        The problem with the sling shot is that the surgical tubing loses its
        elasticity after a couple of shots - got 3 of them here !!

        I have several 160 meter, plus 40/80, antennas in trees between 70 and
        over 100 ft. Using, finally, a 50 lb simple bow that cost $25 and
fishing
        arrows that are heavier than standard, really gets the job done. I'm
able
        to shoot easily over 100' trees. Standard arrows can use AA batteries,
for
        example, to add a little weight.

        I start with around 20 lb fishing line, then attach 100 lb nylon line
and
then
        pull up the 3/8 or 5/16 inch dacron line. The fishing line is coiled up
in a
        bucket from its spool and attached to the arrow.

        I've tried a fishing reel to hold the fishing line but it has too much
friction.

        This process evolved over a lot of trial and error. Hope this info is
helpful,
        Scott.

        73, Jim, K1PX

        K1PX@aol.com