Fwd: TopBand: Transformers for pennants and flags

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: TopBand: Transformers for pennants and flags
From: W7lr@aol.com (W7lr@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:18:39 EDT

--part0_905869119_boundary

See response to Peter on possible transformers for the EWE.
Also topband season started to EU last nite with a qso with OZ1EEZ 1824 khz at
0324z.  73 Bob W7LR

--part0_905869119_boundary

From: W7lr@aol.com
To: pnesbit@melbpc.org.au
Subject: Re: TopBand: Transformers for pennants and flags
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:14:18 EDT

Gm Peter. Thanks for your very complete message about transformers.
ZS5K and I have the same question - does this apply to the EWE antenna, or if
so is there a design or modification necessary?  They have somewhat lower
impedance so perhaps a 4 to 1 or 9 to 1 winding is more forgiving?  If so,
what about using a lower turns ratio if it is less critical, since impedance
matching on receiving is not that important - if you lose some signal it may
not matter much.  Maybe I should be satisfied anyway.  I had broadside EWE
antennas which worked well, but I thought that better s/n equated to best f/b,
so redid the antennas to endfire.  The f/b on broadside was about 2 s units;
on endfire it is about 7 s units which I thought was not bad.  Now I am
working on a 2 element phased endire array for tx, using two
90' aluminum irrigation pipe verticals.  Hope to qso someday.  73 Bob W7LR,
in Montana.

--part0_905869119_boundary--