TopBand: QRM from Low Voltage Lights

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: QRM from Low Voltage Lights
From: manyoaks@easynet.co.uk (manyoaks@easynet.co.uk)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:02:32 +0100
I have just had some low voltage halogen lights fitted in the kitchen.
They produce an S9 noise level on topband!  80m is clear.  On a portable rx
they would seem to emit RF from about 100KHz to 2.5 MHz!

I believe they use invertors to keep the transformers small.  Presumably
the switching spikes are producing wideband harmonics and the suppression
is poor.

The elctrician is sourcing the manufacturer's info but I wonder if any
other reflectees out there have had this problem - and more importantly
have found a cure

All responses please before I pull up the floorboards and start winding
cables through ferrite rings and building metal screens.  (Before you ask -
the XYL chose them and likes them!  and they are CE marked).

Replies direct and I will produce a digest

Thanks

Chris  G3SVL