TopBand: Coaxial Cable Traps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Coaxial Cable Traps
From: gmguerin@voyager.net (George & Marijke Guerin)
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:59:55 -0400
Hi Gang:

A early in the 1980's some of pre-reflector topbanders had a discussion
about traps made out of coaxial cable vs. traps made out of descrete
components for multi-band inverted L antennas.  This was prompted by the
heating in the original RG-58 coaxial traps W0CD made for the first two
Battle Creek Special antennas.

Our second step was to try the marine grade RG-8X, which was somewhat
better, but still heated more than we wanted.  After a trip to one of
the Pacific islands by a group led by W0RLX and K9AJ, where the 80 meter
trap heated enough to bend by the pull of the top loading wire on a CPVC
form, we went to descrete components.

At the time we thought about RG-58 insulated with Teflon , but were
warned off by a sales representative from a wire company.  He said the
center conductor of the coaxial cable, wound over a 1.9 or 2.4 inch
diameter form would eventually drift in the insulation, as the Teflon
would flow slightly from winding and from each inductive heating from a
night's operation by a DX-pedition.  Was this fellow knowledgeble, or
just overly conservative?  I never experimeted with the Teflon coax, so
there is no experience in Battle Creek.

Your comments please, either direct or on the reflector.  (Bill's
choice)

George,  K8GG