TopBand: angle vs polarity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: angle vs polarity
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 07:03:02 -0400 (EDT)
K9LA wrote:

>And another thing that clouds the issue - many of our antennas have a
>response to the other polarization.  For example, Beverages respond to
>horizontal polarization off the side.

Very true!  In fact, noticing signals on my Beverage system that
were skewed by 90 degrees was usually a clue to check my dipole!
When this happened, the dipole would often (but not always) be
the best antenna.  The exception to this was when signals traversing
the Auroral zone were skewed by disturbances (K index 4+).  Usually
this sort of skewing would shift signals by less than 30 degrees in
azimuth but some really large disturbances would cause shifts up to
90 degrees!  But that's another story and a completely different
propagation mechanism.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV