TopBand: Gads, weird science again

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Gads, weird science again
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:40:32 -0400
By they way, my title change was not a reflection of your message or anyone
else's Bill, but rather my view of what this topic generally turns into
rather quickly! I simply thought it fit better than "balloons" did.

Keeping things factual is always a problem.

I have some REAL problems with some of the stuff tossed out lately, like
one way propagation and searchlight propagation. For example, I hear the
VK's when they work W1's and when they work 6's. Does the ducting stop at
the Georgia border? If so, it needs to be worked into the model we all use!

YB0ARA is in here for HOURS on end, as are the JA's. G3SED and others come
in here at mid afternoon during winter, long before the first east coast
station ever works them.

The GPS beacons in ZL were audible through S9 plus QRN from 0400 tonight
(when I first turned the rig on) and still are there right now at 0822
(thanks to my dogs waking me up). It's like that night after night, and
it's only a kilowatt to a vertical for Pete's sake!

I honestly think some of this is just a way to "explain away" poor antenna
efficiency or high noise levels/ marginal receiving conditions that most of
us have to live with on 160. Better to blame it on the sky-Gods than accept
the fact our systems are sometimes less than perfect and often downright
marginal!

It's my worry we simply made theory fit the spotty reports of nearly
everyone, rather than considering the fact not all of us CAN have good
antennas or good low noise receiving. We've now custom-tailored theory to
explain what most of us observe, even though the real reason might be
nothing more sinister than high noise levels at one location or a less than
ideal antenna at another!

Thank goodness old time science never worked that way.

73 Tom