TopBand: Simple, Cheap, 160 antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Simple, Cheap, 160 antenna
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:15:13 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-31 07:40:28 EDT, KK6MC/5 writes:

<<  If you have an 80M or 40M  dipole, you already have the beginnings af a
workable 160 M antenna.

 Take your dipole and tie together the feedline at the rig end. This will
 work with balanced feeders or coax. You can now feed it as a vertical. Feed
 the tied together feeders with the tuner  and be sure to use a good ground,
 radials or counterpoise as the return.  >>

I agree with the first sentence, but I found easier and more effective the
following solution for 160:
   Get two pieces of abt 80 ft wires and make them extensions to your 80 m
inverted Vee. It could be just alligator clip accross the insulator. Route the
extension wires reasonably high around the backyard, zig-zag etc. Trim the
wires to resonance around 1830 kHz. No need for tuners (stays around 50 Ohm),
radials, switches. Works much better than trying to "verticalize" the inverted
Vee. I have tried it, and it made BIG difference (abt 20dB?). Est cost about
$3.
At my home QTH I use Inverted Vee up in the tree abt 30 ft up, one leg is
straight, one has last 40 ft bent.

73&GL
Yuri K3BU, VE3BMV