TopBand: good commercial 160 ant?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: good commercial 160 ant?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:35:54 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Mueller <n2nl@netpci.com>
To: topband@contesting.com <topband@contesting.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 28, 1998 2:39 AM

>Hi guys....I'd like some input on this question if you don't mind.
>
>I'm looking for a good, commercially made, 160m vertical.

>One I have been looking at is the Gladiator brand.

So,  that is what I have out here on Kauai,  the Gladiator
TL160.  Definitely go with the top-loaded unit,  has broad
bandwidth.  I set mine to be resonant at 1830 or so.
Covers very nicely the entire traditional CW chunk
and on up to about 1860 before the vswr gets high.
I have it set up with the base about 12 above the
ground,  on a Radio Shack push up pole.  That way
the radials near the antenna are above your head,  and
can slope down some as they run out to the tie off
points,  which in my case,  are on limbs of wild
guava trees,  hi.

I used full length,  1/4 wave radials.  I used insulated wire,
actually a bunch of 300 ohm twin line that I had bought several
hundred feet for another project that didn't work out as I had
hoped!  Anyway,  I believe you will find the TL160 to be
a good antenna for Topband.  Here is the web site
for the Gladiators by Bob Myers,  should you  need it:

    http://www.primenet.com/~bmyers/

Good luck!

73,  Jim,  KH7M