TopBand: Beverages and fences

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverages and fences
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 00:09:48 +0100
Well the temperature is over 110 now, so it must be time to work on
antennas. I have asked this question before on the "antenna" list, but
didn't get much info back. Hopefully, topbanders will have more experience
in this area.

At this new QTH, the only way I can get a "beverage" out is to lay it on
the ground and running parallel to chain-link fences. Last season, I played
with clandestine wires running across neighbors property and the wires
didn't survive long due to the unpredictability of mowers and kids. Even
tho the wires were on the ground and unterminated, they were the best I've
been able to come up with for receive. In order to insure reasonable
surviveability, I need to run the wires closer to the fences then last year.

Does anyone have any insight into wire/fence seperation verses degration?
Might it be better to vary the seperation, sorta zig-zag? I have several
five foot wide strips, 500 to 600 foot long that I can play with. Best
installation would be with wire about a foot away from the base of the
fence, but if it improved directivity, I would try to get it farther away.

How about far end termination? Earlier experiments showed no real
difference over unterminated, but this time the wires will be much closer
to the fences.

My first inclination is to just experiment around, but I would like to
spend as little time out there at nite with a flashlite as possible so
advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Please, no lectures on how to put up a real Beverage. Been there, done
that, not there now, can't do it again. It might be nice to model this, but
I don't have the time or skill required to construct a proper model of a
fence structure. Anyone ever done that?

TNX ES 73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@axtek.com