TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer (and MFJ)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer (and MFJ)
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 01:47:52 -0700
> > >Has anything been done to ncrease the output signal level
> > >or include a filter in the MFJ-259?
> > >73, Dick -K5QY

Yes to both questions on the new 259. However, it really sets up a
drain on the batteries. 150 mils in the high power mode. And MFJ has
announced an add on filter which will take care of overload by AM
stations close by.

Of course, one of the nice features about the new one is that when
running off the a/c brick, you can consume all the power you want,
while at the same time charging the batteries.

The thing is really slick when it comes to checking coax. I have two or
3 100'+ runs which I just put PL-259s on one end. Biggest surprise was
the variation in VF between the various cables. Varied from .75  to over
.82.

Although the new battery compartment is a vast improvement, the B+ ends
of the compartments are not large enough to ensure solid contact. I
wound up soldering some copper wire which would just fit through the
hole to build up a little solder block. This fixed a break in the
continuity of the 10 ( yes 10 ) batteries. Battery cover now back on,
and should never come off again. BTW, there is a 3 position pin inside
the unit which you have to set for rechargeable or non rechargeable
batteries. This requires taking off the whole cover, and 3 of the
pressnuts in the case came loose. I don't understand why, but MFJ must
have torqued those screws using a jackhammer. I actually had to use a
pair of vice grips on one to break it free.

More to come as I try to figure it all out. But, it's a beauty.

73

Ed