TopBand: VP8/G4VFU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VP8/G4VFU
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:08:46 -0400
At 05:39 4/25/98 +0100, DXIS@wxs.nl wrote:
>Looking for VP8/G4VFU already for a couple of days. This AM on 1824
>around 0345z he was easily peaking 579 on my inv-L, but Carl was working
>599+ signals from N.A. only. On 1843 I heard Jack, VE1ZZ, exclaiming "Hi
>Carl, UR 59+30!!" :((( >
>Many EU's in there, he did not work a single one.
>Alex PA3DZN

Alex,

If it's any comfort to you, I was in that SSB pileup, and was one of only
three NA stations to get through, after many repeats, which was just pure
lucky conditions.  He just wasn't hearing the pileup from EU at all, I'm
sure.   He then qsy'ed to 75 SSB, where he worked you, as I recall, after
which he went back to 1824 to work EU (CW, of course).  His qrn must have
been horrid.

What's truly amazing was the exchange between he and Jack VE1ZZ.  Here we
other NA's are, calling our brains out, processors turned up, squeeking out
a 4X8, and Jack pops in, says "hi, the amp just got warmed up," and
gives/gets a 30 over report.  There were some big stations calling, too,
like K0HA.  Congratulations, again, Jack!  What a signal.

This all has given me plenty to think about regarding salt water paths for
propagation.  I know Jack has a great setup, and perhaps conditions were
favorable between far north and far south paths, but....  30 db is a lot of
difference.  Seems to me that being fairly close to the coast is a
TREMENDOUS advantage on Top Band, more than I realized.  So, even stations
within, say 100 miles or so, probably have a boost.  I have a new
appreciation for the difficulties of those who are more than one hop from
the beach, which makes their achievements all the more impressive.

73,
John K4IQ