TopBand: When is it over?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: When is it over?
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:19:55 -0700
Finally got back on 160 tonight after a long absence working on my
HAntennas II video.  Particularly during the past ten days I've done
little else other than mostly completing that, then making copies.
  I heard the very end of a European signal on 1831.7 tonight with a
579 signal around 0335z (it was probably DK5PR).  The amp was turn on
and I ran off to finish a video dub.  Back at 0345 I didn't hear any
DX and so decided to CQ.  DJ7MI came back--he was 359, but with my
seldom used since shortened Beverages I had a hard time trying to copy,
find the best antenna and tune my MFJ-1026.  IT9ZGY called just after
and I had more time to experiment.  Two Beverages feeding the filter
produced the best copy (not perfected until after listening to his
CQing later).
  ZS6UT called at 0425 and I started to get the hang of things again--
this time the transmit antenna (3 active element parasitic vertical
array) was best for receive.

  I'm finally back to trying to figure out the prior mentioned
Umbrella Antenna.  If it wasn't the April 15 issue of Radio World
(and they had an April 1 edition already) I would wonder...  I forgot
to mention the authors:  Clarence M. Beverage, president of Communi-
cations Technologies Inc. and Alan M. Christman, a professor of
Electrical Engineering at Grove City College (PA).  I couldn't
learn much about them from a brief internet search...  I found SOME
of my 1987 NAB Engineering Conference Proceedings book (indirectly
mentioned).
  If I can get myself up early enough, maybe I can start trying for
some of that morning DX as well.  What do they say...  It's not over
until the fat signals stop singing!

73,  Bill     K0HA