TopBand: Umbrella Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Umbrella Antenna
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:37:08 EDT
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:04:22 -0700 Bill Hohnstein <k0ha@navix.net>
writes:
>(snip)
> It implies that a radial system is not needed:  "Because a standard
>ground system, or even an elevated system, would have had too much
>impact on the wetlands, the Umbrella proved to be the solution."
>(snip)
=========
To my knowledge, any claims that have been made about verticals that
don't need radials have been proven wrong if it is to be an efficient
radiator.

Even an elevated vertical dipole can be viewed as a 1/4-wave vertical
with one radial going straight down.

The statement cited from the article implies to me, therefore, that some
kind of sub-standard ground system is being used.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]