TopBand: Beverage Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage Antennas
From: MALEXANDER@HEALTHDYNE.com (MALEXANDER@HEALTHDYNE.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:09:27 -0400
Hello, Gentlemen:

I am making plans to start implementing a beverage at my QTH.  I live in
a subdivision where antenna restrictions are not enforced at all.
Everyone knows I'm a ham and it's cool.  My setup is as follows:

Inverted V up HIGH in a tree for transmit.
ZJ "Beverage Box" mtd on an 8' rod 150' away from the V.  Coax into
shack - 9913 in sealed conduit.
As you all may know, the Bev Box can be ordered with a preamp.  Mine has
the preamp.
At night, I plan to stretch 580 feet of wire ON THE GROUND out across
the street and into a park.
Connect, of course, one end to the Bev Box ...
I will then terminate with undetermined resistance into a 4' ground rod
at the far end.

I have a couple of questions:

The resistance that I measure at the feedpoint of the beverage is 820
Ohms.  Does the termination resistor need to also be 820 Ohms?   Or.....

If it is determined that I need an exceptionally low resistance at the
terminating end (like 10 ohms), do I need to take steps to insure that
my feedpoint R matches that low resistance value ??

And lastly....How's performance from a beverage on the ground,
terminated "correctly", into a preamp?  Anybody have experience with
such an arrangement?

Thanks, Gents -- I so much enjoy the discussions held on this group --
I've learned so much !!

73 TUL

Mitch Alexander  KG9DB