TopBand: FO0FI Never Say Die

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FO0FI Never Say Die
From: jerryandgail@earthlink.net (Jerry and Gail )
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:23:03 -0700
>        Today I got up at 0945 hoping FO0FI would be on.  Nil heard until
>I had to leave at 1030 to take my mother to meet a tour with the local
>senior citizens' group.  Since my sunrise is at 1048 today, I figured
>there would be no chance today.  I got back about 1100 only to see
>several spots of Bob on 1823.9.  I listened but couldn't hear a thing.
>I kept listening and, wonder of wonders, I began to hear him as the
>QRN began to subside around 1115.  I called for 15 minutes with no
>luck and then he FINALLY came back at 1130, 42 minutes past sunrise.

Glad someone is having some luck!  Listened from 1200 to 1240 with no sign
of FO0FI from here. Turned off the amp and went in to take a shower and get
dressed. I then went into the shack at 1310 or so, and there he was, much
stronger than yesterday. (No RX antenna here.) Chipshot, I thought, as I
flipped the switch to the amp. As I waited out the 30 sec + time delay, I
tried a couple of calls barefoot. ND. When the amp tripped on, I suddenly
did not hear Bob any longer!  Gone! After a few frustrated calls, some kind
soul told me that the was QRT.

On top of all that, the hamshack computer cratered and the lithium battery
in the 2-M rig went south, disabling it. No packet, no DX repeater. No YJ0.
Last week both transceivers went belly up: thanks to W6TC across the street,
I have a borrowed rig to keep me on the air.

Some weeks it is better to sleep in!

Jerry   AI6L