TopBand: YJ0ADJ and sunrise bump

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YJ0ADJ and sunrise bump
From: aj6t@slip.net (Walter E. Miller)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:58:45 +0100
Got up to sniff for YJ0ADJ and FO0FI at 1030z Wednesday morning (15
April 98), and heard a USA pileup on 1829 calling the YJ, but he was nil
for me.  Managed to work FO0FI, but never could copy anything from
YJ0ADJ so I went back to bed intending to try again just before my
sunrise at 1333.  At 1315 he was barely audible on 1828, but began to
peak nicely a few minutes later as dawn approached.  Unfortunately he
was only QSX up in the JA band during the entire sunrise peak, and I
didnt have time to run outside and retune my inverted L for 1910.  He
faded down into the noise two minutes after sunrise, never to be heard
again.  Guess I should have mounted that motorized tuning cap at the
base of my inverted L after all, for quick QSYs to the JA subband to
chase DXpeditioners fixated on working the loud ones thwy can hear.
Very frustrating.  Everybody on topband should always be checking for
brief openings to locations passing through sunrise.  Congrats to Garry,
NI6T, who DID QSY to 1910 to snag him.
73, Walt, AJ6T