TopBand: High Input Intercept SMD Devices

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: High Input Intercept SMD Devices
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:00:43 EDT
On Thu, 09 Apr 1998 15:45:59 +0000 David Blaschke <w5un@wt.net> writes:

Tom, I hope you meant 20 db gain. I'm not sure a preamp with a noise
figure of 20 DB (at 1.8 mhz) is wise. What is the noise figure on 160 for
the typical receiver? Probably less than that. Ambient noise is certainly
predominating in most cases.
1) Tune your receiver or preamp to 160m on a quiet night (or day).

2) Note the noise.

3) Disconnect the antenna.

4) Note the noise.

I'd be willing to bet the noise is *much* less with the antenna
disconnected, even with a 20dB NF front end.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]