TopBand: YB0ARA/9

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YB0ARA/9
From: w9vne@fuse.net (James S. Danehy)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:12:30 -0500
Scott Long wrote:

> Phil had a nice signal again this morning, running about 449 here in
> Central Ohio.  Strange how this band works, yesterday morning I heard W8JI
> working him, but he was not even as much as ESP here, and now this morning
> he was good copy with some QSB.

Two days ago I was fortunate to work Phil. Scott K8SM is north and east
of me (100 miles). W8AV is north and east of Scott by 100 miles. In an
exchange of email with both Goose (AV) and Scott (SM) they gave me the
times they acquired copy and lost it. The more eastern station got copy
first each time. I was the last to acquire copy as I am the more western
station of the three. Goose is near Akron, Scott near Columbus and I am
near Cincinnati. Take a look at an Ohio map. Goose is the more northern
station with Scott in the middle.

That would indicate to me that the Terminator is giving us the
propagation to Phil. That would mean that it is coming from the east.
Could someone please explain that for me ? Is Phil's signal coming out
of the south and up the Terminator ? What does the Equator have to do
wiht propagating his signal ? Based upon my emails with Scott and Goose
it would seem that I (most western and southern station) had the best
propagation. I got a 569 from him and I could have rag chewed with him.
Goose heard him once. I heard Phil for a good 15 + minutes. I got him in
one call. Goose missed him but got him today. I understand in general
terms how the Terminator works but would appreciate (either a private
post or general reply) knowing, using Phil as an example, where his sigs
came from. It is driving me crazy. I am not an engineer. But I am a
student of propagation. Thanks

Jim W9VNE
Cincinnati