TopBand: soil conductivity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: soil conductivity
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:04:55 EST
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:00:52 +0000 Tom Rauch
<10eesfams2mi@mass1-pop.pmm.mci.net> writes:
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:59:32 -0500 (EST)
>> From:          Tom Frenaye <frenaye@pcnet.com>
>> Subject:       TopBand: soil conductivity
>> To:            topband@contesting.com

>You could install a low dipole, and measure the impedance of the
>dipole as yopu raise and lower it and calculate conductivity that
>way. That's what I did when I measured my elevated radial system. My
>actual soil conductivity was 4 mS/m, while the ARRL Handbook method
>indicated 0.5 mS/m. That's because the ground surface was mixed with
>rock and dry, while five feet down and lower there was wet clay and
>rock.
>

>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com

Tom that agrees right on the nose with the ARRL Antenna Manual ( 17th
Edition here) ground conductivity chart. Most of GA  is rated at 4 mS/m
on the chart wheras my QTH is listed as 1 mS/m.

Would you agree that  chart is at least a good starting place to begin
ground system planning?

It is interesting to note how good the soils in AZ, NM and TX actually
are portrayed in the Manual. And all those guys are complaining!

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]