TopBand: El Nino

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: El Nino
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 06:55:35 -0500 (EST)
Some comments from Phil YB0ARA/9 on El Nino and his EWE's:

Some interesting points on the reflector about weather and rain.  Earl
talks about the desert turning green with all of the rain and having it now
look like a golf course !  I live on a golf course and in my case with all
the rain it looks like a lake.  With less thunderstorm activity as well I
think that is part of the reason I have had such good openings.  I have had
a real "flood plain" for miles from the base of the vertical !  On the golf
course if is two to three inches deep !  I also think we have had good
conditions as well.  With the EWE in the first few days of dry weather, I
was not all that impressed !  With heavy rains and better conditions they
began to "play".  This weekend I have to go out and dig up the balun on the
base of the vertical and mount it in an ice cream container as well at the
matching transformer on the EWE !  Lot's and lot's of rain.  Not much on in
the mornings from Europe.  I get up every morning at 0500 local time to
start my 10 mile bike ride and haven't heard a thing on for many mornings.
I hope this weekend to have the rest of the EWE's up and one will be in
that direction.  See you on the band.