TopBand: Re: 4 square

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: 4 square
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:02:31 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 22 Mar 1998 07:07:28 -0500 (EST)
K1ZM sez:

> I'd be happy to have your help with this.  I will be brief to avoid bandwidth:

snip

> The multipath ECHO I heard would seem to indicate a delay caused by TWO PATHS
> though.  The AMOUNT of delay noted would seem to indicate one signal travelled
> FURTHER than the other I was hearing.

With 11 different RX antennas, and a four square TX array, I can get
a real good idea what direction(s) signal arrive.

The WL7 was definitely coming from multiple directs, as were other
signals. The largest echo and strongest sig was from the southwest.
As a matter of fact when I was QSK beaming SW, I could hear echos
from MY OWN signal (just like on 20 meter backscatter).

The same thing this morning on N6RO, when I beamed SW he had severe
echo. When I "pinged" the ionosphere on QSK beaming SW, I could hear
my own echo again.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com