TopBand: Shunt-fed tower - summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt-fed tower - summary
From: DXIS@wxs.nl (Alex C.J. van Eijk)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:33:23 +0000
I got several requests to summarize the responses to my query about how
80m (half) slopers suspendend from a tower could/would affect
shunt-feeding that tower.

>From the many responses it may be concluded that, yes, the sloper does
influence the SWR of the system on 160m, but this should be easily tuned
out. It was suggested that the 80m sloper would act as additional
top-loading. In cases were more than one 80m sloper were suspended from
the tower, SWR on 160 would change drastically when switching to slopers
other than the one that was selected during tuning the shunt-feed.

General consesus, however, is that both antenna systems will work
without interaction and that efficiency/radiation patters will be as
expected.

Thanks for all input.

73, Alex PA3DZN
--