TopBand: IC-746

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: IC-746
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:27:42 EST
New 160 rig on the horizon.
    Just got JA-CQ magazine and saw advertising and photos of guts of new Icom
746 transceiver. It has 160 , HF,  6m (100W) and 2 m (50 or 100W) Looks like
big brother to 706. All modes, has antenna tuner and DSP, optional filters,
and ROOM for additonal filters!!! There is even room around little ceramic
filter for the real one replacement, no need to wire long distance
(Kenwoodians, take a note!). Maybe even built in antenna switch? Wooow!
Included is also band scanning - panadapter feature (crude).
   If it works as good as it looks, this is going to be another big hit from
Icom, especially for mobileers and expeditioners. I guess someone is listening
to our bitching!!! I hope they used good RF switching diodes and low noise
varactors in osc tuning for low phase noise. Price in JA 198,000 Y - about
$1800 amerykansky?
   I guess I will miss it in Dayton.

Yuri K3BU/m, VE3BMV/1