TopBand: WA4FFW/NH1 Monday

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: WA4FFW/NH1 Monday
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 22:04:50 -0700
Bob Eldridge wrote:

> Out of a band that seemed to have had nothing on it but VE1ZZ and the ZL
> GPS, WA4FFW/NH1 called CQ on 1826 at 1059Z. He worked a 0 and three or four
> west coasters,  then after calling CQ for a while with no takers he was gone.
> He must have a reasonable noise level, because he gave out one report of RST
> 339.
>
> 73 de VE7BS

Bob:

I think the random selection of frequencies and times helped ensure a
minimum number of 160 meter QSO's in the log. Not that topband ops need
spoonfeeding, but not many folks can invest the whole night, several
nights running, on the odd chance that a DX station might show up,
sometime, somewhere on the band. This was a situation where networking
with one's buddies definitely provided an advantage.

I am not faulting the operators, mind you, just verbalizing the
obvious.  I think it was an amazing DXpedition effort, considering how
quickly it was assembled and executed!

I should add that I was one of the lucky ones. Having been tipped off by
Al, K7CA's posting on this Reflector about the Saturday morning
appearance on 1827 at 09Z, I was present on Sunday morning, reading
email with the cans on. Fortunately, when the DX did NOT show on 1827, I
cranked the knob...to 1824. How timely! I woke up quite a few folks
after that, and several staggered into the shack to make the Q. Thanks,
Al!

There were never many callers, and it was all simplex, ending abruptly
with WA4FFW/NH1's departure from the band at about 1008Z.

I was particularly pleased to hear Randy, K0EU's QSO. Randy was, of
course, one of the 1993 DXpeditioners to Howland, and I am sure he was
particularly pleased, as well.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession