TopBand: Broadcast field strength

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Broadcast field strength
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:21:53 EST
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:14:35 +0000 k7ca@accessnv.com writes:
>Hello All,
>  Ground wave field strength is great for broadcast stations, but I
>would
>prefer most of my field strength not be on the ground, at least within
>several
>hundred miles of my QTH.  73, AL K7CA

Hi Al.
In practice I find it takes about 2000 miles before my verticals
outperform a 160' high inverted Vee.
But doesnt the strength ( or efficiency...Im not hung up on terminology)
of the groundwave out to several miles also determine the lowest
practical skywave angle? For that loooooong haul DX, the lower the better
as VE1ZZ; K1ZM/1 and others surrounded by salt water demonstrate
regularly.

A question for the reflector:
My shot to EU/AF is flat for about 700-800' and then drops 400' gradually
in the next mile and stays that way for 3-4 miles before the next range
of (lower ) hills.  How does this affect performance on the 160
verticals? It is sure dramatic on the higher HF bands.
Toward SA and the Pacific I am flat for about 400' and then drop slowly
150' in the next 1500', then it falls real fast another 300' before
rising again. Other directions are various combinations of the above, but
this is the highest elevation for at least 12 miles in any direction. It
is certainly great for horizontal yagis on HF thru UHF.
Thanks to Dean Straw, N6BV, my terrain profile is included in K6STI's  TA
program if anyone cares to look and comment.
Do I need to make improvements to the 160M antenna system or just add 5KW
or so to catch up to the pack?

73  Carl  KM1H

.

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
>Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-topband@contesting.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]