TopBand: Re: [3830] KZ5MM CQ-160 SSB Alligator Explanation!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: [3830] KZ5MM CQ-160 SSB Alligator Explanation!
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 18:33:08 -0500 (EST)
ON4UN wrote:

>On 160 a Beverage must be at least 100 ft (strict minimum) from a big
>transmit antenna.

John, that has not been my experience.  My JA Beverage is currently
less than 50 ft from my 180 ft shunt fed tower with no noticeable
difference in noise compared to other Beverages.  In Colorado, I also
had a Beverage about the same distance from my 1/4 wave elevated GP with
no noticeable problems (in fact it was my main Beverage toward EU).
It did not seem to be a problem either for shunt fed (nonresonant) or
base insulated (resonant) antennas...maybe I'm just lucky!

73,  Bill  W4ZV