TopBand: Need Antenna Tuner Recommendation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Need Antenna Tuner Recommendation
From: bzuehlke@seren.com (Zuehlke, Brad)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:53:41 -0600
Anybody have a recommendation on a commercial, high power 10 - 160
antenna tuner from the 160 meter perspective?  My MFJ-989C just ain't
cuttin' the mustard on top band with my Alpha 89.  I replaced the old
roller inductor with the new "air" core model after meltdown and it
refuses to cooperate on 160 at power levels above 500 watts.  I've tried
it on two different resonant antennas for 160 (inverted vee and inverted
L) with the same results... things are fine up to a certain power level
and then SWR jumps off the scale and can't be tuned out.  The amp and
antennas work fine together at full power with the tuner bypassed.  I'm
ready to retire the MFJ to the summer qth and try something new at home.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Brad - K9BZ