TopBand: Stratwarms on Low Band Monitor

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Stratwarms on Low Band Monitor
From: luisprk@tin.it (Luis Mansutti IV3PRK)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:44:54 +0100
Hi Carl,
I just received the Low Band Monitor and read your article on Stratwarms.
Congratulations for the a very fine and clear statement, I am sure that now
nobody is going to worry anymore about STRATWARM alerts as far as 160 meter
band in concerned !
I am proud to have been of some help, but you did an hard work on my
logs....I could have done something more to make it easier for you!
I fully agree with you on the search for the unknown variable affecting 160
meter propagation; first of all let me confirm that on the many days with a
low K-index and no Stratwarms reported and no QSOs in my log, I was also on
: on my note-book you can read some notes like "hrd only W1xx 559 or W4xx
449" or "only noise" or "closed" or "nothing" or "absolutely dead" etc.; of
course if I am on at 03z, maybe I am not at 05z and vice versa, but my
monthly graphs and summarizing tables take into consideration also these
empty (on the logs) days.
Yes Carl, we lack that variable which could explain why we enjoyed the best
conditions of the season (or even of the cycle) between 25 and 29 of
december 97 with the favour of "K-index 0", but no further openings to the
West Coast in january and february with also so many "K-index 0" days : I
got only a W6 opening on january the 16th, but I never heard a W7 or VE7
after the Stew Perry Contest !!

Let's keep in touch with you Carl, and Bob NM7M and Rod VE7FPT: I will be
more than happy to be of some help to your propagation studies.

73 Luis IV3PRK