TopBand: Update from 9M0C

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Update from 9M0C
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 06:50:10 -0500 (EST)
Hi Tom,

        I forwarded your message but I do not agree that a Beverage
will work best.  The presumption is that the noise is coming from
all directions.  However, in looking at weather maps over the past
36 hours, it appears most of the high intensity storms are to their
south over YB.  There are some fronts over JA and BY but they probably
do not have lightning in them.  If the noise were truly coming
from all directions, the guys on 80 would not be having such success
with their 4-square.  For this reason, I think a cardiod pattern,
which has much better F/B, would work better than a Beverage.

        EWE's or phasing the BC special and Titanex would place
a nice cardiod null to the south.  Better yet would be multiple EWE's
(NW, N and NE) which would allow placing the null on the main noise
direction which probably changes due to weather changes.  Since the
cardiod pattern is very broad to the front, probably any of the 3
directions would work OK for EU and NA.  Of course cardiod phasing
two Beverages (like the guys at WW2Y have done) would be the very best,
but that is probably not practical for them.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV