TopBand: 9M0C 160mtr status report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9M0C 160mtr status report
From: don@aurumtel.com (Don Greenbaum)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:18:54 -0500
160M report

Over the last 35 years Don XTT and myself have worked 160Mtrs from all over

the world - this is by far the worst level of QRN we have experienced. The

last two nights the S meter did not drop below S 9 plus 20dB. Yesterday I put

up two 300 Mtr Beverages; one on the USA and one on EU. Neither worked ! They

both dropped the static level to S9 but no sign of the signals we could tell

were there on the main antenna. We believe their proximity to the sea ( just

10 metres) is to blame. I will build a magnetic loop today and also erect a

low dipole - anything to hear those signals!

As far as we can tell signals are very strong with many at S9 or more - but

this is still 20dB below the current background static level. The first night

on was the best - there were distinct static "crashes" with the noise level

dropping to around S2  between them - this is how we worked so many EU that

night. Since then the noise level has been continuous.

We're both determined to work as many of you as possible and will hang in

there!

Mike G3SED

Postscript by G3XTT:

Mike and I have read the latest reports from the pilots, and sympathise with

the frustration people must be feeling. Believe me when I say no one is more

frustrated than us. Between us we have been on the band throughout the hours

of darkness, but with little other than damaged eardrums to show for it. As

Mike said, we have tried "Beverages", or more specifically 1000ft lengths of

wire laid directly on the coral. Today Mike has put up a low dipole, and early

signs are that it renders some improvement - guess what, we can actually tell

there are people calling us! But we can't copy more than the odd letter, never

mind a complete call. If we appear to have been spending time working JA, it

is because it is better to work JA than nothing. We have worked every US and

European station we have been able to hear.

Martin received a comment that we should spread out the callers. If we could

hear any we might! But as we're having to spend ages listening for anything at

all to pop up above the noise, it's easier to do this on a single frequency

than have to tune around. It's not the proximity of calling stations that is

making copy difficult - separating signals isn't an issue when you can't hear

them in the first place!

One of the problems seems to be that we are obviously being heard well. We are

NOT using the BCS on 160. We are using the Titanex, and it obviously gets out

well (at 85ft tall it ought to!). We haven't put the 160 top loading wire on

the BCS, as it is very close to the Titanex and they would detune each other.

Martin, we have NOT worked G4LJF on 160, so it does sound as though our call

may be being pirated.

We'll keep trying - Mike is doing the all-night stint tonight while I catch up

on sleep (none in the past 36 hours).

160 QSO total is now 490, by the way, and it isn't all JAs (hi!).

<center>-----------------------------------------------------

N1DG

EX-WB2DND, A61AD (GUEST OP, QSL MGR), /KH9, /BV/, VS6

DON GREENBAUM

DUXBURY, MA, USA

http://www.goldtel.net/spratly

http://www.goldtel.net</center>

(P.S. de W4ZV...I am going to suggest they try EWE's.  Since these
work as phased verticals, they should work quite well near salt
water.  If they have materials for Beverages, they have materials
for EWE's since they are very similar in construction but just
require a different terminating resistor...about 1100 ohms instead
of 600.  If anyone on the reflector can help relay this, please do
so.  I will forward my message to the pilots.  73,  Bill)