TopBand: Magnet wire enamel coating solvent

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Magnet wire enamel coating solvent
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:40:19 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:05:45 -0000
>
>Hello to all!
>
>I am winding some toroids for beverage antennas and find that
>scraping the enamel insulation off the wire is a pain.  Does
>anyone know if there is any solvent out there that will take
>this off merely by dunking the end of the wire?  I haven't been
>able to find one yet that will do the trick.  Perhaps scraping
>is the only way.
>
>What say some of you beverage types?
>
>73,
>
>Charlie, W0YG..>>

Yes, scraping formvar off small wire is a less than rewarding
job.  Back in one of my previous lives as a slot car enthusiast, I
developed a relatively acceptable way to strip this stuff for
rewinding motors.

Here is what I do:

1.  Lightly grip (with flat jaw pliers or a small vise) the wire
    to be stripped.  Leave only the part to be stripped sticking
    out.  Don't use enough pressure to mar the insulation or
    deform the wire.

2.  Burn the insulation off the wire end to be stripped with a
    butane lighter.  The pliers will stop the flame progress at
    the corect point.

3.  Release the wire.  Fold a small piece of steel wool (no soap)
    around the wire just ahead of the burnt stripping zone.  Grip
    the steel wool with pliers to apply pressure, and pull the
    wool over the stripped end to remove the formvar soot.  The
    wire should be tinnable after one or two passes of the wool.

No solvents but much better than scraping.

73, Eric  N7CL