TopBand: Balloon gases

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon gases
From: jmata@nil.fut.es (EA3VY JOSE MATA GARRIGA)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:24:19 +0100
Just a few data to show that in some particular cases two  gases other than
hydrogen and helium can be useful to inflate balloons: natural gas (mainly
methane) amd ammonia.

Rough figures are as follows:

                Specific weight   Lift/volume  Volume/lift    Weight/lift
                   kg/m3           kg lift/m3   m3/kg lift     kg /kg lift

Hydrogen            0.09            1.20          0.83           0.075
Helium              0.18            1.11          0.90           0.162
Natural gas         0.72            0.57          1.75           1.26
Ammonia             0.77            0.53          1.89           1.45

The first two gases had been discussed in depth at the reflector so no need
to insist.
Natural gas is readily available as domestic combustible. In my opinion
using it outside has no significant risk.
Ammonia has ample use in industry and agriculture (as a fertilizer). Can be
transported in liquid state (about 1.5 litres/kg) in closed containers
designed for relative low pressures in the 20-30 kg/cm2 range. Certainly it
is labeled as toxic but again its outside use have not significant problems.

If somebody has comments to do I beg of him (or her) to send it directly to
me, not to Reflector and if necessary I will do a final resumee.

Jose EA3VY