TopBand: Small loop for xmit?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Small loop for xmit?
From: w4pj@w4bkx.ampr.org (w4pj@w4bkx.ampr.org)
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 98 09:55:46 -0500
    Has anyone tried this?

    I remember seeing an article in either the ARRL Handbook
    or Antenna Book about a recieving antenna for 160m. It is
    a 'magnetic loop' made of coax with a small section of the
    braid removed at the midpoint and resonated with a trim-
    mer capacitor. The article showed a picture of the loop
    in a diamond shape supported by a bamboo cross.

    I made a similar recieving antenna for 80/75m with a piece
    of RG59 and supported it on a picture frame and microphone
    floor stand. It could be rotated (inside the shack) and
    about 20% of the time would help recieve stations by nulling
    the noise. Without it the station was unreadable (S/N).

    Here's what I'm thinking about:

    I have a piece of 7/8" hardline made into a 10ft square.
    I was origionally going to make a similar 'magnetic loop'
    for recieving and put it on a pole, rotating it with a small
    TV rotor. How about replacing the 'trimmer cap' with high-
    voltage capacitor(s) and resonating it for xmitting? I believe
    the hardline can handle the voltages but what about the capac-
    itor? Has anyone made a homebrew high-voltage capacitor for
    this type of use? Has anyone out there ever tried this type
    of loop for xmitting on topband? (Vacuum variable caps are
    very expensive, but I will keep my eyes open at the upcomming
    Hamfests) I may build it using the trimmer cap and then remove
    the trimmer for measurement. Then I'll know how much capacit-
    ance it takes to resonate the loop.

    I'm presently using a doublet 86-1/2 ft. (x2 = 173ft.)
    in an inverted vee, center-fed with 450 ohm window line.
    I think the loop should have a lower take-off (radiation)
    angle and the ability to rotate it may help for DX as well.

    Any suggestions - ideas?

    de Scott / W4PJ     w4pj@w4bkx.ampr.org
         -73-