TopBand: XW30 Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XW30 Report
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 06:44:42 -0500 (EST)
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:02:30 +0900
From: S Watanabe JA0DAI <ja0dai@ba.mbn.or.jp>
Subject: XW30 Report
To: btippett@CTC.Net
Cc: ja3onb@gold.ocn.ne.jp

Hi Bill,

I am sorry to report that we made NO QSO with the North Americans
from XW30. The total number of QSOs on 160m is reported to be 735
by Erik who has all the log for QSLing. I guess it might contain
300 JAs and 400 Europeans. We have tried for the West coast at our
evening and for the East coast at our morning, but no luck.
I had operated from 6th to 9th, 4 nights for 160m and made 570 Qs.
After we left, Erik and John continued to operate till 2359Z 16th.

I heard VE1ZZ quite well on my listening frequency while working
Europeans on the very first day of 160 operation at around 23Z (
not sure). I called back him several times, but he seemed to call
someone else and I got no answer. So I thought that it was not so
difficult to work US at that time. But he was the first and only
one North American we heard through our operation. And finally I
realize it very difficult to work NA from Zone 26.

Our antenna was inverted Vee dipole up about 30 meters at its
feeding point putting up at the roof of 3 story hotel. One element
was sloped down to the ground toward due North. IC239 and TL922
were used for 160m. The noise level was quite high around S9+, but
no problem to copy JA/Eu with its noise blanker and attenuator on.
The WX was fine all days and over 30 degrees of temperature.

This is the story. Some of operators would go back to Vientiane
later this year. Hope they make it OK.

73 Watt JA0DAI (also WR3W)