TopBand: CQ WW 160 CW from VR98BG

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ WW 160 CW from VR98BG
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR98BrettGraham)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 00:36:49 +0000
This contest starts at 0600 local Saturday, so there's a chance for
something at the start.  Unfortunately, I'd been out Friday night & didn't
wake up until nearly 1000 - apologies to EU... that may have been the only
chance I had to work any.

The Butternut rubber duckie put N6AW, N6SS, KD6WW, K6HMS, N6DX, AD6C, K6NR,
AI6L, KH6DX/M (the Q was appreciated, but these geographically ambiguous
calls have gone _too_ far) & N7UA into the log the first night from NA.
Sunday morning brought nothing but some EU that CQed in my face.

Sunday night was pretty good, with the best midwest NA signal strengths
I've ever heard.  Despite calling JA, I think AA0RS heard a bit of me
calling him once.  This was then followed by a major effort calling WB9Z,
who eventually pulled me through for the best NA two-way DX from here.
Other non-left coast NA nearly worked was W7LR.  By the time the left coast
was basking in sunlight, eight W6s were worked, plus K9JF/7, W7WA, W7XR,
W7AM, N7RY, W7DT, W7NN, VE7SV, VE7BS & NL7Z.

All greater China stations heard were worked: BD4ED, BD5QE, BV4ME & BV7FC.
Other "locals" heard & worked were YB1AQS, YC0LOW, 3W5FM & 9M2NK.  The only
EU worked (RA4NW) was logged Sunday night.  When I finally read the rules,
it was annoying to have to axe the Q with V73GT (at 1610-something) from
the log.  I have to say I agree with the comments of others that some rule
changes would be nice.

Total of 150 Qs, 12 countries & six states/provinces worked.

73, VR98BrettGraham