TopBand: propagationally sensitive dog!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: propagationally sensitive dog!
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:11:02 EST
After checking THE band on Thursday eve and finding zip, hit the sack to be
awakened by a licking, wimpering dog at 06:15 (12:15 a.m. local).  Figured I
better let him out, but, surprisingly, he had no interest--just sat there with
his nose pointing towards the radio room!  Well, long as I'm up--it's about EU
sunup--better check things out. . . .  Rig came to life on 1823.5 and there
was SM0AJU--569!  Quck hit the amp, and gave him a call at pre-set 65 watts
while amp timer was running--came right back!  Quick check around showed
EA6ACC at 589 and an almost unbelieveable IV3PRK hitting S9!  Interesting
thing was that there was only one other loud US signal--a K8 in the upper
peninsula of MI in this hunt (I'm in Duluth, MN).  Stations are calling me as
I'm signing with these CQing stations!  Can't believe this good fortune. So
after quck check to make sure nothing I really need is CQing, I throw in a CQ
myself (about the 2nd time I've ever done this, because of limited receive
ability).  Big bunch of ON/DJ/OK jump in there!  Wow, this is fun.  Pick up a
few as local noise builds--switch to 80 and run about 15 more quick ones
before giving the dog a 5 minute head scratch and back to bed.

Moral of story:  Even those of us in real black holes occasionally have our
day!

This band is fun!

John N0IJ