TopBand: Need 160m propagation info

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Need 160m propagation info
From: kiddi@marel.is (kiddi@marel.is)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:50:37 +0000

Kristinn Andersen@MAREL HF
07.01.98 23:50

I am trying to develop some sense for propagation conditions
on 160m with relation to the SFI, A and K indices.  A few questions
to anyone who has the knowledge and time:

1.  Are these three parameters in some way reliable indicators for
    the quality of propagation on 160m?  Are there others I should
>     be looking at?  Note that I am within the auroral zone (lat:64N)
     so are there additional considerations?

2.  What are considered "good" values of these indices for 160m
     propagation?

3.  Where can I find a summary of past (say, the last few weeks')
     values of these indices?  (Useful when I look over past log
     entries and come across good runs or bad conditions - then
     I'd like to know what the indices were at that time).

4.  Where can I find a summary of predicted values of these
     indices?  (Good for planning skeds or deciding which days to
     quit early at work and leave for home...).

     (I am aware of the WebCluster info, which is helpful but shows only
the
      present values of SFI, A and K).

5.  Where can I find explanations for the info in the USAF/NOAA bulletins?
     For example, what are those values labelled N5, N6, etc., and what
     do they mean for propagation?

I am not currently subscribing to the reflector, so I would appreciate
replies to my direct e-mail:  kiddi@marel.is
I will summarize the answers to the reflector if there is any interest.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX