TopBand: Beverages, 1/8 wave radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverages, 1/8 wave radials
From: kenkeeler@jazznut.com (Ken Keeler)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 02:17:41 -0800
Hello

After 45 years of serious contesting and casual DXing, I recently decided
to get serious about 160m, mostly for multi-multi DX contesting purposes,
but occasional excursions into single op adventures like the ARRL and CQ
160 contests and STEW P.  I subscribed to this reflector about one month
ago and am trying to absorb all the valuable input from the experienced
topbanders here.  In particular, I value the summaries of 4SQ vs. beverages
for receiving, and the 4SQ suspended around a 120-140' tower, using T-top
or L wires.  I'm attempting the same project here and appreciate all the
shared knowledge.  I've scanned the archives, but not exhaustively
researched them.  If there are answers on TOPBAND or TOWERTALK archives,
please refer me to them.  I have read the W3LPL bit on beverage lenths, and
have the ON4UN book, ARRL Antenna HB, and the W1WCR Beverage book.

Specific question #1:  The concept of 1/8 length radials, using an inductor
to force equal currents in the radials, has the obvious advantages of using
less real estate, supports, etc.  Can I get away with just two elevated,
current forced radials, 15' above ground, on each of the four
pseudo-vertical driven elements?  No ground level radials are practical for
year-round agricultural reasons.

#2:  I'm just about to order 450 ohm ladder line to replace my single wire,
800' and 600' (guess it should be 585') beverages, with the two wire
concept, reflection transformers on each end, described by W8JI in the
Spring 97 Communications Quarterly.  Is anyone currently using #16g
ladderline, available from several of the cable suppliers, and how does it
behave mechanically, and electrically in the two-wire beverage application?

#3:  Does anyone close to K2ZJ know of his plans to continue his beverage
box business?  I've gotten no response in the past 3 weeks to email,
telephone, etc.

That's enough for one post.  Any hints appreciated. Thanks, Ken.

.

Ken Keeler    N6RO
KO6N  and N6O(CQP 97)
N6RO@jazznut.com