TopBand: More musings on Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: More musings on Beverages
From: k1ky@bellsouth.net (Tom Delker)
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 22:47:04 -0600
Per Dave K9NX questions, I have done the following:

 FEED >-------------------------< FEED

The wire is 295 feet NW/SE with ICE bev box on each end.  It started out
as NW only with 500 ohm termination.  Wanting a SE bev, my only option
at the time was to reverse feed the existing wire (or add more
wire/termination).  I asked Mike at ICE about it and he had never heard
of this being done before, and suggested that I might need to add a 50
ohm resistor at the feed point to get the 500 ohm termination.
Presently, I have not done the 50 ohm termination, but I did play with
grounding and terminating the opposite bev box feedline in the shack
with no difference.  The NW bev appears to perform as before with the
500 ohm termination and the two "antennas" appear to display the
characteristics I was looking for.

The ICE feed point tap chosen is 450 ohms.

I will play with this some more, next with my NE bev that is 500 ft
long, unterminated (except for the far end wrapped around a highway
guardrail.)  The overall noise level is just a tad higher than the
terminated bevs, but still has good F/B ratio, probably due to the
extremely rolling terrain that it is traversing.

--
Thomas M. Delker - K1KY CFO#395 - Smyrna / Gallatin / Short Mtn. TN
C.A.T.S. (W4CAT) - 147.30 (114.8) / 145.23 / 223.98 / 444.45 & 444.65