TopBand: FH/DJ1RL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FH/DJ1RL
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 15:40:53 -0500 (EST)
        Today I received the following excerpts in a letter with my
QSL from FH/DJ1RL.  I thought you all would be interested in reading
them.

        "I think my trip to 5R8 and FH was successful.  I worked more
than 100 North Americans and 180 Europeans on 160.  Only one JA is in
the log.  The equipment was two IC-735's, and one Ameritron AL 811H
linear.  In 5R8, the hotel generator was outputting only 187 volts,
so the maximum power output was no more than 300 watts RF.  In FH,
the humidity was greater than 95% which caused the linear to arc-over
with more than 300 watts output.  I used an 80 meter long wire end fed
antenna supported between two 15 meter high palm trees directly on the
beach.  An LC network matched the antenna to my coax.  Altogether 4300
QSO's are in my log.

        I hope to see you at the Friedrichshafen convention in Germany
in 1998.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

                                        73,

                                        Theo DJ1RL"

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV