TopBand: Help Solicited for Propagation Project

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Help Solicited for Propagation Project
From: oler@holly.cc.uleth.ca (Cary Oler)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 15:55:44 -0700 (MST)
I would like to solicit the aid of all amateurs who regularly listen to or
communicate on 160 meters.

I require REGULAR propagation reports from as many amateurs as possible
using 160 meter propagation to help correlate observed propagation with
geophysical and space weather conditions.

Ted Cohen and myself have accumulated about a month's worth of propagation
data (for a specific Washington DC to Europe and Japan) signal path and have
had some success in correlating propagation on this path with specific types
of geophysical conditions.  But in order to verify our (_very_ preliminary)
results, we need MUCH more data from a much larger base of users.

To this end, and for as long as propagation on 160 meters remains possible
this winter (and even beyond, when possible), we would like to receive
reports of propagation from all those who use 160 meters.  I have a web page
that people can use to submit their reports.  Submissions are automatically
archived and are also made available for others to see.  If this interface is
too kludgy or if you would simply rather e-mail your observations, please
send them to: Oler@Solar.Uleth.CA or to: COler@Solar.Stanford.Edu so your
observations can be integrated into our study.  Otherwise, please enter your
observations into our web page at:

                 http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/caros.html.

The base web page for all of this is: http://solar.uleth.ca/solar

WE REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING PARAMETERS, IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE:

        1. Your location (State, Country, or latitude longitude coordinates).
        2. The person(s) you heard and/or contacted.
        3. The UTC Date and Times of your observation (NOT your local time!).
        4. The frequency(ies) you used.
        5. The quality of the contact (standard S-values can be given, etc).
        6. A description of HOW the signal SOUNDED.  Was it normal, or was
           there fading, echoes, or unusual noise patterns observed.
        7. A brief description of your equipment, the power output used in
           transmissions, the type of antenna(s) you have, etc.
        8. For those with beverages or directional antenna's (yeah, right!),
           a description of the DIRECTION the signals were received would
           be extremely useful for ray-tracing analyses, etc.
        9. Anything else you feel might be useful.

Any help you folks can render in expanding the database of observations on
160 meters would be very much appreciated.

Best regards and the very best of 1998 to you all!

        -Cary Oler
         Oler@Holly.CC.Uleth.CA, Oler@Uleth.CA,
         Oler@Solar.Uleth.CA, or
         COler@Solar.Stanford.Edu