TopBand: W7s in the afternoon!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W7s in the afternoon!
From: neil@g4dbn.compulink.co.uk (Neil Smith)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 17:14:20 GMT
Well I got a brilliant answer to my question about whether W7 stations had
worked into this end of EU, I heard N7UA come out of the noise at 1505z and
Bob's excellent ears heard me first call!  After 90 seconds, the signal
dropped back to just above the noise, N6TR/7 was just in the noise with a
huge pile of SM/OH/LA on 1835 for half an hour around 15z but the heap was
just too big for my weedy little signal.

I heard parts of other calls on 1834 at 1510z and 1828 at 1500z but too
noisy to resolve.  I am guessing the signals came from the south-east, but
no way to tell as the switchable aperiodic loops were trashed in the storms
and I can only listen to the north-west!  Bob was a solid 579 on the folded
monopole tx antenna but no copy at all on any rx antenna including south
beverage.

Whatever next?
Neil G4DBN