[Fwd: Re: TopBand: J8 160 activity]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TopBand: J8 160 activity]
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 16:28:14 -0800

--------------4F1D40B31211

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession

--------------4F1D40B31211

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 16:26:30 -0800
From: Garry & Yelena <ni6t@best.com>
To: "James S. Danehy" <w9vne@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: TopBand: J8 160 activity

James S. Danehy wrote:

> Tree N6TR wrote:
> > We are also keeping an eye out for the J8 crew on 160.
> >
> >Christmas day I worked J8/DF2SS on 30 and 40 meters. I asked about 160
> meters. RESPONSE: " 0200Z  1821 khz". I monitored the progress of that
> station by Packet Cluster spots and first hand checking on 40 and 80
> meters. Just after 0208Z he disappeared from 80 meters. I monitored the
> designated freq of 1821 khz as well as tuning around for more than 40
> minutes. Then saw him spotted on 40. That is when I worked him on 40. I
> asked again : "160 ?". RESPONSE : "QSL 2 QSOS".
>
> Does anyone have any more information or responses from this station ?
>
> 73
>
> Jim W9VNE
> Cincinnati
> Ohio

Just a similar story. I tried to QSO him on 80 just to ask the same
question. Someone beat me to the bunch and he responded as he did to
you, but with a later hour. Nothing heard here.

He has not been loud here on 80, and--judging by his rate--he does not
seem to hear all that well in this direction. I have yet to log him--and
am not too optimistic about 160, given this and his achievement of only
a few QSO's as you related.